Breaking News

Where First Opinions come from

October 13, 2024
avatar-torie-bosch
First Opinion editor

This week, I spoke to two groups and several individuals about First Opinion, and one question kept coming up: What percentage of First Opinion pieces come to you directly, and what percentage do you ask people to write?

It's a tricky question because it changes every week, but I would say it's probably an 80-20 divide. I'd love for it to be more like 60-40, but I spend a lot of time playing defense in my inbox, just trying to come up for air. That makes it tricky to find a good 30 minutes to just read the news and think about what First Opinion can add to the discourse — and who should write it. I find potential authors all over the place: I ask colleagues for recommendations, scour social media, look up books and relevant centers at universities, listen to podcasts, see who has been quoted in news stories.

This week, one of my favorite things happened. I was trying to find something related to health care and Hurricanes Milton and Helene, and I came across someone tweeting (no, I cannot call it Xing) an idea I hadn't thought of: As long as IV fluids are limited because of the destruction to a Baxter plant in North Carolina, IV "hydration" bars should close. It was clear that the tweeter (Xer? bah) felt strongly about this — he had posted versions of it a few times. So I reached out. The final result was a First Opinion I was very pleased with: "Close IV hydration bars until the intravenous fluid shortage ends," by Andrew Pasternak, a family medicine physician in Nevada. "The first step in conserving our supply for patients with critical medical conditions would be to redirect the IV fluids used at these spas toward patients who genuinely need them," he writes.

So, be careful what you tweet — I just may be lurking and then try to peer-pressure you into writing something.

You can find the rest of the week in First Opinion below.

Recommendation of the week: The STAT Summit will be held in Boston on Wednesday and Thursday. I wish I could be there myself, but I can't. If you're in town and care about the future of medicine and health, it's a must-attend.

Eric Risberg/AP

Close IV hydration bars until the intravenous fluid shortage ends

Hospitals across the country are running low on IV fluids. Now is not the time for hungover people to get unnecessary infusions.

By Andrew Pasternak


STAT+ | Why Scientific American endorsed Kamala Harris

Editor-in-chief Laura Helmuth and opinion editor Megha Satyanarayana join the 'First Opinion Podcast' to discuss the controversial move.

By Torie Bosch


STAT+ | Trump's dangerous Covid-19 revisionism

Trump says he "did a phenomenal job with the pandemic." Rick Bright saw firsthand that was not the case.

By Rick A. Bright



Caitlin O'Hara for STAT

STAT+ | Traditional randomized trials don't work for ultra-rare diseases like Barth syndrome

Often the only way to appreciate a drug's benefit in rare genetic diseases is to connect the dots of drug action in biochemistry to human clinical impact.

By Emil D. Kakkis


My four kids and I all have ADHD. We need telehealth options

Medication for ADHD has been a lifeline for my family and for me. Now that lifeline is in jeopardy — and so are we.

By Jeremy Didier


I swore I wouldn't become a psychiatrist

I entered medical school absolutely certain I didn't want to be a psychiatrist. Then something happened to me.

By Jessi Gold


Los Angeles City Bureau of Sanitation workers conducting a cleanup sweep of a homeless encampment in 2021.
PATRICK T. FALLON/AFP via Getty Images

Encampment sweeps threaten homeless people's health

Encampment sweeps come with largely overlooked health consequences as people lose both their medication and necessary stability.

By Max Jordan Nguemeni


New mental health parity laws are already under threat

Insurers are passing up a golden opportunity to heal their own discriminatory mental health care coverage practices.

By David Lloyd


A global revolution in funding mental health care is coming

New innovations promise a brighter future for treating and managing mental health. Now we have to scale them.

By Miranda Wolpert


Adobe

Harris' Medicare at home plan doesn't go nearly far enough

The U.S. needs to expand the caregiver pool for older Americans, which will reduce costs and increase accessibility.

By Neal K. Shah and David Casarett


First Opinion readers on Covid and Trump, rare diseases, and institutional neutrality

Three STAT readers respond to recent First Opinion essays on Covid, rare diseases, and institutional neutrality.

By Torie Bosch


More around STAT
Check out more exclusive coverage with a STAT+ subscription
Read premium in-depth biotech, pharma, policy, and life science coverage and analysis with all of our STAT+ articles.

Enjoying First Opinion? Tell us about your experience
Continue reading the latest health & science news with the STAT app
Download on the App Store or get it on Google Play
STAT
STAT, 1 Exchange Place, Boston, MA
©2024, All Rights Reserved.

No comments